'Tis The Weekend For Poison Ivy

Media Resources

Jill Chadwick

News Director

Office: (913) 588-5013

Cell: (913) 223-3974

Email

jchadwick@kumc.edu

Outdoor fun and yard work over Memorial Weekend can lead to a bad case of blisters and itching when you’re back at work, if you’re not careful.  Doctors are already seeing patients suffering from blistering rashes caused by contact with the oily resin found in the leaves, stems and roots of poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. People who are allergic can break out in a rash one to fourteen days after coming into contact with the resin which can be carried on the wind or by a pet’s fur as well as coming into direct contact.  Keep your arms and legs covered to avoid getting a rash and don’t allow pets to explore in the weeds.  Dr. Daniel Aires, director of Dermatology at The University of Kansas Hospital explains why poison ivy is growing stronger and why you should never burn poison ivy!