Pittsburg, KS Family Recovering From House Fire

Media Resources

Jill Chadwick

News Director

Office: (913) 588-5013

Cell: (913) 223-3974



Three members of the James and Tawnya (Bach) Collins family from Pittsburg, KS are recovering at The University of Kansas Hospital burn and pediatric intensive care units.  Twenty-two month old Gehrett Collins and his three-year-old brother Leif are being treated for smoke inhalation.  Their father James Collins also suffered smoke inhalation and internal burns to his lungs. None of the family members suffered external burns.

            Tawnya Bach is better known to the four-states as a morning and noon anchor on KOAM.  She was at work when the house fire broke out yesterday morning. “I am so grateful my family made it out of the house alive,” said Tawnya who admits she is also feeling overwhelmed by the fire that took everything. “I’m told their recovery could take weeks as they are very sick from the smoke, but already showing some improvement.” Tawnya’s nine-year-old son, Dominik, was outside waiting for his ride to school when he asked neighbors to call for help. Tawnya was at work.          

            The community has responded with gifts of clothes and established a fund for donations.  The family is in need of everything including household appliances, furniture and kitchen items. (Collins House Fire Fund). 

            Dr. Richard Korentager, Chair of Plastics and Burn explains internal burn and smoke inhalation injuries in the video below.  Pictures of the Collin’s children may be used by media in updating their stories.