The University of Kansas Hospital is ranked as the No. 1 hospital in Kansas City, the region and the state of Kansas by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals list.
The University of Kansas Hospital is among a select few hospitals in the nation to be ranked in 11 medical and surgical specialties, among the top 50 in nation according to U.S. News & World Report's 2016-17 Best Hospitals list.
Since 1990, U.S. News & World Report's Best Hospitals list has served as a reputable resource for identifying quality healthcare. The Best Hospitals list highlights those medical centers that excel in high-risk inpatient care and complicated operations.
For the fifth consecutive year, University of Kansas Hospital has won the 2016-17 National Research Corporation Consumer Choice Award for Kansas City. The award recognizes hospitals which possess best overall quality, best overall image/reputation, best doctors and best nurses. The hospital not only led other area hospitals when these four categories were combined, but also led all other area hospitals in each of the four individual categories.
- Consistently ranked among top hospitals in quality and safety by The University HealthSystem Consortium’s Quality and Accountability Study, a ranking of the nation's top 101 academic medical centers.
- Nationally ranked since 2007 among U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals. Also named best hospital in Kansas City for four consecutive years.
- Patient care provider for The University of Kansas Cancer Center, one of just 69 facilities to earn National Cancer Institute designation.
- Among the top 5 percent of U.S. hospitals for surgical volume, with more than 22,000 surgical patients in FY14.
- Ranked among the country’s top teaching hospitals for saving lives while caring for more seriously ill and severely injured patients than ever before.
- Received Magnet nursing designation in 2006 and redesignated in 2011 and 2016, an honor awarded to only 7 percent of U.S. hospitals; only 3.7 percent earn the designation three times in a row.
- Nationally honored with awards for critical care, emergency care, nursing care, stroke and heart care, among others.
- Hospital of choice for the Kansas City area, caring for more inpatients each year than any other single hospital in the metro. Inpatient discharges soared from 13,000 in 1998 to more than 33,000 in FY 15.
- Leader in solid organ transplantation for liver, kidney and pancreas transplants, performing its 1,000th liver transplant in 2013.
- Home to the area's only nationally accredited adult and pediatric burn center and Level I Trauma Center.
- Official healthcare provider for Kansas Speedway, Sprint Center, the Kansas City Royals and the Kansas City Chiefs.
We are also one of the top-rated accredited hospitals in the Kansas City metro area. Our accreditations demonstrate our commitment to world-class patient care and our vision to lead the nation in caring, healing, teaching and learning.
To earn these accreditations, our physicians, nurses and staff must meet or exceed national standards of excellence in areas such as safety, quality and ethics.