Doctor Warns of Alcohol Poisoning & Other Dangers That Happen on St. Patrick’s Day & Over Spring Break

Media Resources

Jill Chadwick

News Director

Office: (913) 588-5013

Cell: (913) 223-3974

Email

jchadwick@kumc.edu

For some, the luck of the Irish escapes them when it comes to celebrating this annual holiday that coincides with many school spring breaks.  Dr. Stephen Thornton, medical director of The Poison Control Center at The University of Kansas Hospital and emergency room physician, says he sees too many patients suffer injuries from alcohol related accidents and risk death when over indulging in drinking alcohol. 

Alcohol poisoning is suspected in the death of a college student on spring break at Orange Beach, AL.  Dr. Thornton says alcohol poisoning resulting in death can happen.  Dr. Thornton encourages everyone with plans to celebrate to drink responsibly and know the signs of alcohol poisoning which can include confusion, loss of coordination, vomiting, seizures, low body temperature, slow or irregular breathing, stupor and even unconsciousness.

If someone you know shows the symptoms of alcohol poisoning, keep them awake and setting up, give them water, keep them warm and if they have passed out, lay them on their side.  The doctor offers more advice.