Two of three family members injured in the Shawnee fatal house fire May 14, 2015, are discharged from The University of Kansas Hospital Burnette Burn Center. The 91 year old matriarch of the Young family remains hospitalized with injuries suffered by smoke inhalation.
“The two patients discharged today responded well to treatment and haven’t developed any complications from their smoke inhalation injuries,” Richard Korentager, MD, chair of Plastic Surgery and Burns said. The 91-year old great-grandmother remains in serious condition and sedated. “Her smoke inhalation injuries were more severe and her age makes her slower to recover.”
“We are so grateful for the community’s interest and concern for our family, especially our neighbors,” Katie and Matt Young, daughter-in-law/son of one of the fire victims said. “We hope the community and media will understand and respect our need to work through this tragedy as a family first and understand why it’s been difficult to talk publically until now.”
The family has established two funding sites, one to help with funeral costs for Baby Christian. http://de.gofund.me/babychristianyoung
The second is to assist with Ronnie Walkup’s expenses as well as help the survivors of the fire. http://e.gofund.me/ronniewalkup