The University of Kansas Health System is treating a total of 39 COVID patients today, 33 yesterday. Other significant numbers:
- 21 with the active virus today, 18 yesterday
- 0 in ICU, 1 yesterday
- 0 on a ventilator, 0 yesterday
- 18 hospitalized, but out of acute infection phase, 15 yesterday
Key points from today’s guests:
Marc Johnson, Ph. D., lead researcher, Sewershed Surveillance Project, University of Missouri
- Able to track illnesses by region with sewer water tracking and it helps predict trends in spikes of illness by region.
- Samples are taken and sent to a lab for quick analysis.
- Caffeine contribution can tell how much the water has been diluted by rainwater.
- Missouri has one of the more comprehensive set-ups in the nation when it comes to wastewater tracking.
Amber Schmidtke, Ph. D., division chair of natural sciences and mathematics, University of Saint Mary
- Seven pediatric patients have died so far in the U.S. due to RSV.
- Flu-like illnesses are so intense in the Southern states.
- COVID is at a manageable level right now, but the virus is still evolving with variants.
- Make sure you are up to date on your COVID booster and get your flu shot.
- Wearing masks in public, handwashing, and staying home when sick can also help avoid spread of illnesses.
Nathan Bahr, M.D. infectious diseases doctor, The University of Kansas Health System
- On reports that repeat COVID can lead to organ failure, any time you get repeat illnesses/injuries it can lead to more damage.
- It’s another great reason to avoid getting COVID by staying up to date on vaccinations and taking proper precautions.
- There is a PCR test that can detect flu or RSV in one test.
Wednesday, November 23 at 8:00 a.m. is the next Open Mics With Dr. Stites. It used to be you had to see a doctor, get a prescription and have a custom fitting from an audiologist to get a hearing aid. Not anymore. We’ll explain why and show you what to look for if you’re looking to buy one on your own.
ATTENTION MEDIA: Please note access is with Microsoft Teams:
Join on your computer or mobile app
Click here to join the meeting
Meeting ID: 235 659 792 451
Download Teams | Join on the web
Or call in (audio only)
+1 913-318-8863,566341546# United States, Kansas City
TVU Grid link: UoK_Health_SDI
Restream links: Facebook.com/kuhospital
Send advance questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.